Thursday 16 January 2014

A Few Money Saving Ideas...

I was thinking about blog posts I wanted to write and as I've been writing lists and making notes (which I love doing) coming up with ideas, I thought how popular it has become for people to learn about saving money and how to do it.

Now I'm not saying that I'm any kind of genius with saving money but I do find myself naturally being one of those people that does as many things possible to save money (whilst enjoying myself) and I blame my father for this. He is one of the worst for saving money... And then never spending it. I'm not quite that bad. Anyway, I thought I'd put together a list of ways that I save money so other people can use the ideas as well.

1. Look after the pennies...
A well known phrase 'look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves', and it's true! Since I was tiny I have always saved my pennies in a money box and when it gets heavy I count them out into money bags and take them to the bank. It's only a few pounds at a time but the pounds add up. The great thing about it is that many people really don't like coppers filling up their purse/wallet so they give theirs to me as well! Doing them a favour but also benefiting me.

2. ...The pounds can't completely look after themselves
Going one step further with looking after the pennies, I have recently taken to saving pounds (what's the point in having change in your purse/wallet at all?). I haven't saved all of the pound coins in my purse, although that could be another step further if you really need to save the money. I made myself a big money box to save this money and on the back I drew 52 boxes with the date of the first day of each week in them. Every week I add a pound to the box and tick of that week so I can keep on top of how much I have put in there. The great thing about it is £1 a week isn't really missed so it doesn't hurt too much but it adds up! I am doing this with my boyfriend though so each week we both put a pound into the box and by the end of the year we should have £104 to treat ourselves with. Whether you do it alone and make £52 or with someone else and make £104, make sure you put the saving of that money to good use and treat yourself!

3. Money saving vouchers
Keep all those money saving vouchers that you get given free in magazines/newspapers/shops etc. but don't be tricked by them! If you know that a voucher will help contribute to reducing the cost of something you frequently buy or need to buy but can't afford it without the voucher then go ahead and make the most of it. But, if you don't use or want what the voucher is offering and are just thinking of buying it because it's a good deal then just don't go there. The retailers know that this is what people do and use it as a way of making people buy things they would never have bought in the first place. If you need it or really want it then make the most of that voucher, otherwise just throw it away and forget about it. It's not saving you money when it's making you buy things you don't need!

4. Do It Yourself (DIY)
Whether it's decorating/re-decorating, or it's cooking rather than having a takeaway or meal out, or if it's cleaning the house rather than getting someone in to do it, everything adds up and saves money. I understand that a lot of these things are easier for some people to do than others because of having full time jobs etc. but for the most part I'm sure you can find ways around these things. If you spend very little time in the house then there is no need for it to be cleaned until you are home sometime? If you have kids and don't have time for cooking yourself then why not make a rota for everyone cooking different meals each night? Not only will it save you money but it will teach everyone to cook and be much healthier!

5. Compare prices
If you find a product you like don't jump into buying it straightaway, look it up online and compare the same product in different shops to see if you can get it cheaper. Most of the time you will probably find the exact same product, with no difference in quality, a lot cheaper (in some cases, depending on the product, it could be up to £50-100 cheaper!). If you want to go one step further and aren't that bothered about the brand of the product you're buying then you could find a product you like and then look for a completely different branded product which has similar qualities but a much smaller price tag. For example, an iPad is great for many things but costs in excess of £300, however, you could look for a tablet made by another lesser known brand and buy it for about £100. That's a big saving!

6. Have a clear out
I'm sure everyone can admit to keeping things that they don't need whether it's something with a memory attached (take a photo of it and get rid of that clutter!), or whether it's too many clothes you've bought and never warn, or all those presents you've been given but never actually wanted; sort them out and clear them out! You could take them to a charity shop/thrift store but we're thinking of ways to make/save money so why not go to a car boot or table top sale and pass on your loved things for other people to love and cherish too? Not only will this clear your house out, it will also make you a bit of extra pocket money to spend! Yippee!

7. Start shopping in charity shops (thrift store in USA)
Now I am not only a huge charity shopper, I have gone one step further and I now volunteer in a charity shop to ensure I can buy all the best things. It's become quite an addiction. The best thing about it is you can get some amazing quality branded items for pennies. I think the products seem so much more worth it when you can wear them as many times as something you'd buy new but be able to claim to a cheap price tag with it! Sometimes you can even get some amazing items which are still brand new with tags for the same cheap prices.

8. Do you really need it?
When you're shopping and fancy buying something just ask yourself, do you really need it? If it's clothing then, what will it go with that you already own? Will you actually wear it or use it? If the answer to most of these questions is no then just leave it. I ask myself this all the time (unless I'm in the mood for treating myself). Having said that, I can sometimes take it too far and end up just not buying anything.


9. Use your legs
Finally on my list is to make the most of your legs and walk more places (or use your push bike). This is obviously only something that can be done when you aren't travelling far but, it saves money on using a car/public transport and you will also be getting exercise. If you're travelling somewhere too far to walk then why not share transport with someone else and therefore share the cost of travelling? Everyone has become very lazy and seem to have forgotten about their legs (I am one of those people but in the summer I definitely seem to find my legs).

Obviously these are just a few of my own ideas and I am no expert on life.
If anyone has any other ideas then please share them. I'm always interested to hear other ways of saving or making money.

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment